Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:59:59 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: Taxi fares in Bangkok, Thailand  (Read 8623 times)  Share 

bluewhale18

• View Profile
Taxi fares in Bangkok, Thailand
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend me about how to deal with the taxi drivers in Bangkok? I heard lot of stories about the taxi scams!?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:43:03 PM by bluewhale18 »

atiumm

• View Profile
Re: Taxi fares in Bangkok, Thailand
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
Hello all,

Can anyone recommend me about how to deal with the taxi drivers in Bangkok? I heard lot of stories about the taxi scams!?

There have been several negative comments about taxis in Bangkok lately. Here are some helpful suggestions:

There have been some comments on the website about Bangkok taxi drivers. I have had few problems with them. Make sure they start the meter and make sure they understand that BEFORE you get into the taxi. Also a good idea to photograph the taxi number (and make sure the driver sees this) in case of problems. You can tell him you do this so you can locate the taxi again if you forget something. If problems DO occur, you can let him know you sent a picture of the taxi information to a friend. Oh, and if you threaten to report him to the "Tourist Police" make sure the taxi is stopped or on a straight road. Told one that onetime and he nearly lost control while in a curve!!

You will nearly always come out ahead by paying the meter-rate instead of a negotiated rate. Exceptions might be if you are familiar with the meter rate and the driver offers a better deal. Other times during heavy traffic or long trips, the driver may refuse to accept a meter rate passenger. (When I get what I consider to be excessive requests, I usually tell him, "I want clear title and a full tank of gas!")

Passengers are responsible for tolls.

There is a service charge from (but not TO) the airports

Don't be afraid to contact the Tourist Police if you have problems!!!

MOST IMPORTANTLY--Have a good trip. Thailand is by far my favorite country and I get there about 5-10 times a year!

Blether

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
1. The basic rule in Bangkok is that there are fake everything and buyers beware.
2. Never ever trust your taxi driver to bring you to the place you want to go for FOOD, SHOPPING, or ANYTHING RELATED TO AN EXPENDITURE (MASSAGE, RESTAURANTS, etc). This is inspite of giving them specific directions written in Thai.
3. The problem is, for every famous place, there is an imitation (eg the famous Somboon Restaurant versus the fake Somboondee Restuarant). All taxi drivers will automatically bring you to the fake places period (regardless of instructions in Thai / English, etc).
4. All fake places charge at least 5x - 10x the price of the original places.
5. I had a simple seafood dinner consisting of 800grams crab, 900gram Fish/Seabass, a fried rice and a plate of vegetables (Kangkong / Morning Glory). The cost came out to a shocking 7,000 bahts. The correct price should probably be only about 1,000 bahts in Bangkok.
6. Even the restaurant owners will lie to you upon being confronted. They will lie about the road / location they are on, the name of the restaurant, etc.

doublebarrel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Hey guys,

One more thing that I want to suggest, If the driver refuses to turn on the taxi-meter or they sometimes turn it off during the travel and ask for more money. If you face such a situation, don't bargain. Just tell the driver to go to the nearest hotel (or your hotel). When you arrive, get of the taxi, and tell him that you will pay the money on the taxi-meter. He will not dare to argue with you at the hotel. The hotel will get you another taxi.

David B.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:21:48 PM by doublebarrel »

bluewhale18

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »

Thanks to you all for the information  :)