Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:47:55 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: THAI FOR BEGINNERS  (Read 12472 times)  Share 

DRNUSRAT

• View Profile
THAI FOR BEGINNERS
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:41:57 AM »
I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME ACTIVITY ON THAI FOR BEGINNERS TO HELP FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN GEETING TO KNOW THAI EVERYDAY USE WORDS AND PHRASES.

Mstani

• View Profile
Re: THAI FOR BEGINNERS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »
Have a memory like a whiteboard.

I'm not all that far along the path to learning Thai, but far enough to know a couple of good ideas (apart from spending a lot of time in bars or in taxis in Bangkok - which is an excellent way to learn).

Ultimately my biggest 'pointer' is to be extremely flexible about what you take onboard.

* Don't commit to memory anything that you haven't read or heard from at least three sources. And even then, expect to have to amend it again later. If you ask even an extremely well-educated Thai who speaks English nearly fluently a question, don't take their answer for gospel.

* Always assume that your dictionary is missing a bunch of words; use 2 to 3 dictionaries at least, to be relatively sure, but even then you can't be certain.

* Remember that words in combination change meaning a lot in Thai. Just as "have to" has nothing to do with "have", so too does Thai have (not 'have to' ) heaps of equivalent phrases. thai2english.com is an excellent resource because it will distinguish phrases for you.

* As much as possible, try to learn two ways to say everything. When one way fails (and it will...one day), try it again and then try the alternative, and the odds of being understood skyrocket.

* Give yourself extremely modest goals. "I will be fluent in Thai within 3 years" is folly for any normal human. "I will be able to read a newspaper and understand most of it, write almost anything in simple to intermediate language with very few mistakes, and speak almost fluently within 5 to 8 years" is probably a realistic goal for the most diligent and studious of us...and only if we don't slack off during that time and get to spend a reasonable amount of time in the kingdom.

bangkokeagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 02:32:51 AM »
The best way to learn is to be unafraid of practicing with the locals. Going to markets where you have to communicate with many people is a fun way to learn basic Thai.

Few Basicz words in Thai which would be helpful for the beginners:

Hello = Sawa dee
Thank you (man says) = Kob Khun Krap
Thank you (woman says) = Kob Khun Ka
How are you? = Khun sabai di mai?
I am fine thanks = (man says) Pom sabai di krap.
I am fine thanks= (woman says) Chan sabai di ka.
Basically women say "ka" at the end of a sentence
while men say "krap".
You're welcome = Yin dee krap / ka
Wait = Roh sakru
I= pom (man)
I= chan (woman)
Come = ma
Come from = ma jak
I come from Australia = Pom ma jak pratet Australia (man)/
Chan ma jak pratet Australia (woman)
I love Thailand = Pom/chan rak Meuang Thai.
I love you= pom/chan rak khun

The word leu = past tense meaning it has happened already. The word is used at the end of the sentence to say something already happened.

I have come= ma leu
Go = pai
Gone already = pai leu
Go where = pai nai
Go soon = pai diauni
room= hong
water= nam
Toilet = hong nam
Where is the toilet? = hong nam yu nai?
to enter= kao
heart= jai
to understand = kao jai (literally: to enter the heart)
don't understand = mai kao jai

hope u have noted into ur diary :)

atiumm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:35:46 AM »
I think best ways is to find a Thai friends. From experience in learning another language is, there's no point of learning from books or cassette if you have no one to pratice it with

DRNUSRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:16 AM »
Fantastic that was the activity I was looking for - Thanks

DRNUSRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:26:10 AM »
KOB KHUN KRAP

DRNUSRAT

• View Profile