Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:54:20 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: Real Authentic Thai Food in Phuket? Where?  (Read 5361 times)  Share 

Blether

• View Profile
Real Authentic Thai Food in Phuket? Where?
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi,

I'm heading to Phuket in Thailad in a couple weeks for a 5 day break. I will be with my wife and 9 month old baby. Both my wife and myself love good authentic Thai food (ie, not the Tourist-Friendly version of Green and Red curries, etc)... Can good authentic Thai food be found in Phuket? or is it all toned down and made tourist friendly on this resort island?

I have read that Phuket town offers some of the best options... Bear in mind that we are travelling with a 9 month old baby so hygiene, safety, and location are things to be considered when choosing a place to eat at....

Thanks in advance,

Blether

hguity

• View Profile
Re: Real Authentic Thai Food in Phuket? Where?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Hi, blether. Where will you stay in Phuket, and where will you be visiting ? It's a big place to be schlepping around by tuk-tuk with a 9-month old - from your post, I think you recognise that.

What are your criteria for 'authentic' - how well do you know Thai food ? How about your budget (foreign money goes a long way in Thailand, of course) and preference for high-end, mid-range or motorbike-and-sidecar street vendor ?

I've made a dozen trips of more than a week to Phuket over the years, and I don't think you'll have any trouble finding authentic Thai food. I don't think that narrows down your options much

Blether

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
Hi hquity, thanks for the reply.

I'd like to think we know Thai food reasonably well. I myself have been to the country probably 5 times in the last 6 or 7 years (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Koh Samui). Both myself and my wife are of Asian descent and can handle a fair amount of heat before reaching for the ice cold drinks...

I like to find Thai restaurants/eateries which offer dishes/foods that either I have not seen before or are specific to the region where we are eating. I'm not really interested in eating another green or red curry or a pad thai... Dishes I like are the unusual soups (ie, not the straight Tom Yam, Tom Kha varieties) and also the salads (especially the Northern/Isaan types)...

We haven't booked our hotel yet but we have been told to avoid Patong as it's too developed. The areas we have been recommended to stay are Kata, Laguna or Mai Khao areas.

As for budget we are not really restricted... But based on experience it's not usually the expensive places where you have those meals that you remember... Normally you experience those in some off the road but well know by the locals place which serves amazing food at very reasonable low-mid prices...

I hope that gives you a bit more information to go on :-)

Thanks again

hguity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »
OK - my best suggestion is Palai Seafood on Chalong Bay (15 minutes' ride from Kata/Karon). A Thai friend took me there a year ago. As far as Phuket is concerned, if it's regional it's likely to be seafood: Palai has great seafood and a lovely view. I'd have no qualms about taking kids there.

In the Patong/Karon/Kata area, even many of the western tourist restaurants have a good range of Thai food on the menu, particularly Isaan dishes. Of course there's a significant seasonal Isaan population there, and the chefs everywhere are Thais. You might be surprised at what's available.

Sorry, I can't speak for Thai food at the North end of the island.

Blether

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:41 AM »
Thanks, we'll try and make it to Palai Seafood. I'm thinking the other options are to ask the hotel staff where they would go to eat with friends for an evening out...

Rgds
Blether

Softpie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
For a hotel, if budget permits I'd recommend Trisara. Their pool villas are spectacular. Made it tough for me to want to head out and explore Phuket.

Trisara is out of the way, but their cars will take you wherever you'd like to go.

They have a very good Thai chef and a hit/miss American menu.

sloppyseconds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
Hi guys! I'm new here, but I'm lucky to have found such a great forum. Thank you for sharing great info here.