Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:00:44 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: I have missing molars can i get false teeth  (Read 6526 times)  Share 

aish501

• View Profile
I have missing molars can i get false teeth
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

After many years of being petrified of the dentists I finally plucked up the courage to go. I ended up having several fillings, 2 lower molars extractions, and 2 more lower molar extractions awaiting to be removed.

It means I will be left with no molars on the bottom (I do have my wisdom teeth) At the moment I am finding eating a problem, I cannot eat on the side of the extractions, and cannot eat on the side awaiting extractions as they are just roots.

Is there a way I can get some false teeth/bridge? I asked my dentist and she told me there was no point, but I cannot go on this way.

Thanks in advance.

Mstani

• View Profile
Re: I have missing molars can i get false teeth
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
One of the best ways to replace missing teeth is to consider implants. it's important to have implants placed at the right time after extraction, before the bone in which the implant is placed shrinks too much.

I would express that you are having problems chewing, there is almost always a solution

I hope this helps!

aish501

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The options given, are they going to be something that will cripple me financially?

I have been putting off getting the other roots removed as I am struggling terribly ATM to chew :(. It's got to the point where I have had to cancel dinner dates with family and friends as I take so long to eat and end up getting really embarrassed. I am worried that when I get old my face will sink into the gaps where the teeth should be. I am only 30, and I don't want to spend the next however many years I have left feeling like this.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Thanks again.

johnbazon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
Myself have a couple of missing molars too. One's in the lower right and another in the upper left. I had them removed 5 years ago. Recently, I just went to dentist's for consultation and had an x-ray taken. He said my upper jaw bone looks so thin. I can't be a candidate for implant but the problem is I hate the plate. Is there any other options??? Please

nonpop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
It's a bit of a crap shoot really. I lost the very last molar (lower left) ten years ago, and was warned that there was the possibility that the tooth directly above it, [since it no longer had anything to "hit" while biting down or chewing], might slowly erupt and loosen. And that the teeth adjacent to the lost molar would shift. (Whenever there is a gap in the mouth the remaining teeth tend to want to "move" to fill it!)

An implant was suggested but this was ten years ago and the process was not nearly as sophisticated as it is today.
I opted to take my chances, said "no" to bridge and/or implant and was very fortunate not to have any problems with teeth shifting or that upper molar erupting downwards.

However, recently, the molar directly in front of the missing one (this molar had been root-canaled and crowned) just fractured under the crown and couldn't be saved. So THAT was pulled. So now I have BOTH molars missing on that side and can't HAVE a bridge. So now I need implant(s). TWO molars missing on same side will definitely cause a major shift in my mouth, not to mention not being able to really chew properly. Not yet sure if I will get one or two. The $$$$ makes me swoon.

Did your dentist tell you he saw the beginnings of a problem? or have your remaining teeth remained stable?

And I know the "idea" of a titanium screw makes you queasy but I hear the hardest part is the orig. extraction! And I heard there is nothing more stable and secure than a good implant.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:04:19 PM by nonpop »

Kmalik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
With your molars missing, one's in the lower right and another in upper left, you can use a flipper (interim removable partial denture) without a wire clasp. However, it can be challenging to maintain adequate retention (how tight it stays in place). A properly designed and fitted flipper should not harm the neighboring teeth regardless of whether they are capped or not. Special consideration should be given to neighboring teeth that are diseased or week. If you are worried about appearances, the wire clasp can be located in a hidden area.

The answer to your question about bone loss (thin bone) depends upon whether or not your had socket preservation performed once the tooth was extracted. This is where your dentist places some bone regeneration material into the socket and possibly places some sort of regenerative membrane over that. This will preserve the bone for a good 6 to 12 months. If you did not have socket preservation performed then 80% of the bone loss and remodeling occurs over the first two months. The bone will continue to shrink slowly over the years so the sooner you can get the implant the better. However, a good implant surgeon can perform guided bone regeneration and restore much of the bone loss. Stay away from the bridge!

Make sure you have an excellent general dentist that you are comfortable with and that you can trust.
Let me know how it goes, and good luck!

johnbazon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:12:11 AM »
With your molars missing, one's in the lower right and another in upper left, you can use a flipper (interim removable partial denture) without a wire clasp. However, it can be challenging to maintain adequate retention (how tight it stays in place). A properly designed and fitted flipper should not harm the neighboring teeth regardless of whether they are capped or not. Special consideration should be given to neighboring teeth that are diseased or week. If you are worried about appearances, the wire clasp can be located in a hidden area.

The answer to your question about bone loss (thin bone) depends upon whether or not your had socket preservation performed once the tooth was extracted. This is where your dentist places some bone regeneration material into the socket and possibly places some sort of regenerative membrane over that. This will preserve the bone for a good 6 to 12 months. If you did not have socket preservation performed then 80% of the bone loss and remodeling occurs over the first two months. The bone will continue to shrink slowly over the years so the sooner you can get the implant the better. However, a good implant surgeon can perform guided bone regeneration and restore much of the bone loss. Stay away from the bridge!

Make sure you have an excellent general dentist that you are comfortable with and that you can trust.
Let me know how it goes, and good luck!

First off, thanks so much to Kmalik for your informative suggestion. The idea of bone grafting can be considered as my tooth replacement choice even I gotta wait for more 6 months to have the bone built up before having the implant fixed. One more question, I'm a bit scared of pain. Do you know this procedure will be painful? How many months I will be recovering? Thanks again

prissy_princess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
My dentist gave me a needle -- and you feel the usual uncomfortable pin prick, etc. After my gums were numb, he gave me more, much more needle.

When he started the work, I did not feel a thing.

Afterward, when the effect of the needle wore off, it was a bit painful and I took the Tylenol 3 he had prescribed.

There are lots of antibiotic and other pills to take on the day and after the procedure.
Recovery time depends on the injury or defect being treated and the size of the bone graft. Your recovery may take 2 weeks to 3 months. The bone graft itself will take up to 3 months or longer to heal. You will need to keep the bone graft area clean and dry. Your doctor will give you instructions about showering.

Hope this helps a bit.