Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:36:31 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: Where to buy Thai silk?  (Read 4667 times)  Share 

sparta110

• View Profile
Where to buy Thai silk?
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
I'm going to visit Thailand at the end of this year and need some advices for Thai silk shops. Last time, I went to Jim Thompson's but it seems every tourists go there to shop. Anyone knows the local one? Thx in advance :-*

coptor505

• View Profile
Re: Where to buy Thai silk?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
In which city you are looking for??

santeria01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »
Go to Amarin Plaza(Mall) which is right next to the Erawan Shrine which everyone will know where that is if you have to ask for directions. There are fabric stores in there and there's my absolute favorite fabric store...more for home interior type of projects...called Come Thai. I've shopped there for years and absolutely love the selections of fabrics. Then within the same mall, there are the regular Thai silk type of places. Come Thai has lots of ethnic pieces of fabric in silk,cotton,and all types of weaves.I've used the pieces for clothing and table runners etc. Last year I found a beautiful piece of rough woven solid-colored fabric that was too short to make a sarong out of so I found another piece of fabric that contrasted with it beautifully and asked the owner to add the piece to the waist in order to lengthen it. She was more than glad to do it and within 24 hours.I eneded up with a beautiful sarong-style skirt for about $40. Happy Travels!

coptor505

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
If your main shopping goal is silk fabric, Bangkok has a much better selection than Chiang Mai. The one place you might want to check out in CM is Shinawatra although I think the price will be pretty much the same as their store in Bangkok. The shopping in CM is good and fun but it's more for craft type things and gift stuff.

nikain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »
Thai silk-one of my favorites subjects. In BKK don't forget the silks at the weekend market. Not exactly high quality, but I have used them on many things. You will also find painted silk, handwoven designs and some hilltribe. The JT outlet on Sukhumvit is great also and much lower price than the regular stores. In CM I really enjoyed the Shinawatra stores-much different than the ones in BKK. The one on Handicraft street has wonderful clothing with the silks, while the ones ( one is a factory outlet) on Huay Kaew has great fabrics. The area around Warorot Market has many cotton and silk fabric stores. If you are a quilter, stop in at Jolie Femme ( handicraft st) to see the silk quilts. By the way, I have been experimenting with washing the Thai silk, It softens it and the drape is great. I have even tried-with success-washing a painted silk.

santeria01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Take the skytrain to Chitlom station and access the Amarin Plaza (Mall) from the skytrain station. The mall is full of fabric shops. I go there often. Happy Travels!