Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 05:54:38 AM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: Christmas destination advice  (Read 2837 times)  Share 

tools4fools

• View Profile
Christmas destination advice
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is going to be a tricky ask, but I thought if I was ever going to get a good answer it would be here.

Shortly my boyfriend and I are heading off to Myanmar and are planning to be there for a few months, including over Christmas. So, I have invited my mother to fly out to the region to meet us for the holiday. I suggested that she get a return flight to Bangkok and then we can meet up somewhere in Thailand, but I haven't decided where yet.

I have been to Thailand before and always tell my mother about the great accommodation and service at reasonable prices that you can get there, so I need to find something that meets her expectations in terms of quality without blowing the budget. Ideally, the place would be small, well run, comfortable and in a relaxing location but not too far from some action - restaurants, markets, beaches, etc. I personally would like to avoid overcrowded resorts, but appreciate that that may be difficult at Christmas.

So, what I'm asking for is recommendations for destination and/or accommodation - your favourite guesthouse, beach resort, town, etc. Where would you take your mother?

Many thanks in advance. I look forward to your insightful responses.

Guenmai

• View Profile
Re: Christmas destination advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:03 AM »
Hi,

She may like Cha'am. Not too far from BKK, nice beach and not too difficult to access some of the islands. Also Hua Hin is within easy travelling distance. I stayed at the Rungaran de Challet. Nice place run by helpful couple. Beach metres away and some of the restaurants/bars very close. Lot to choose from so do a search. Would suggest that the quieter pace of life there may be suited to her purpose.

bangkokeagle

• View Profile
Re: Christmas destination advice
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:53 AM »
I assume you will allow her to see Bangkok for a few days since it is the capital city and well worth a visit. For hotel advice include a price limit for the room. Use a baht figure. In Bangkok being near the Sktrain might be useful. Quick, easy and cheap transportation to many areas of Bangkok. If my mother was still alive I would not have a problem with her using a hotel in the Sukhumvit Road area. Walk to rail service, malls, restaurants, street vendors, etc.

Visit Khorat. Bus leaves from Morchit bus station. One hour away from Khorat is Phimai. Nice restored wat, nice museum. Small town. Phimai Inn on the by-pass highway will be okay.
http://www.holidaycityflash.com/thailand/korat_things_todo.htm

In case you forgot, in Bangkok she can go on all sorts of day tours that you sign on to through local travel agencies on short notice. Tour company picks up at the hotel and will bring you back when the tour is complete. Very simple. Yeah, many people go to these places - but they go to these places because they are interesting and popular!