Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:08:04 PM
:
Welcome!

Author Topic: Denture Problems  (Read 3969 times)  Share 

hayley5353

• View Profile
Denture Problems
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
Hi, my mother who is 56 had 24 teeth pulled due to paradontel disease and had complete upper and lower dentures put in back in March 2012. She has been to the dentist many times for work on the dentures. She has had many problems with them not fitting correctly, rubbing sore spots, bite not right and still cannot eat with them. She hasnt been able to eat any solid/ semi-solid food since she has gotten them. She is very discouraged and depressed about them and doesnt know where to turn. Should she get a second opinion since her dentist says there is nothing he can do? Additionally, she has had excessive salive and when I say excessive I mean WAY excessive to the point of vomiting. Is this normal? Any help will be very much appreciated.

cole_191

• View Profile
Re: Denture Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:40 PM »
Hey hayley5353, Usually it takes a while to get used to complete dentures. This time varies from patient to patient. As the bone under the dentures changes in shape initially thus takes some time to finally settle down. Give her some time and motivation to try to adapt to the new dentures. It sure isnt a nice feeling having to use such mouthful dentures in one go. That is why some dentists prefer removing just a few teeth at a time and replacing them. In this way, patient is given enough time to get used to having dentures replacing few teeth whilst having some natural teeth. Although it is tiresome but she must keep up with her visits to dentist and get the fitting of the dentures checked. She must also keep the dentures and her gums healthy by proper cleaning. I hope she is using some mouthwashes too. Hope this helped in some way.

nonpop

• View Profile
Re: Denture Problems
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:30:50 PM »
Hi, my mother who is 56 had 24 teeth pulled due to paradontel disease and had complete upper and lower dentures put in back in March 2012. She has been to the dentist many times for work on the dentures. She has had many problems with them not fitting correctly, rubbing sore spots, bite not right and still cannot eat with them. She hasnt been able to eat any solid/ semi-solid food since she has gotten them. She is very discouraged and depressed about them and doesnt know where to turn. Should she get a second opinion since her dentist says there is nothing he can do? Additionally, she has had excessive salive and when I say excessive I mean WAY excessive to the point of vomiting. Is this normal? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Now you know why we dentist discourage patients from having all their teeth extracted. Some adapt well to dentures. Some, like your mother, never do. Extracting all teeth is so final. Backtracking to place implants is so expensive.

It is impossible to tell without examination whether the dentures are a poor fit and/or the bite is off, or whether your mother is just one of those people who do not adapt well. However, in 35 years of doing dentures, I find that only about 5 percent of the patient population cannot adapt to dentures.

Salivary flow may take a week to return to normal.

A training aid that often works is to reline with a tissue conditioner until all ulcers and sore spots have heale